Sunday, February 4, 2024

Tasting - Menage a Trois

Name: Menage a Trois California Red Blend

Variety: Zinfandel, Merlot, and Cabernet Sauvignon

Region: California

Country: United States

Year: 2021

Price: $9.50

Online Review: This wine exposes the fresh, ripe, jam-like fruit that is the calling card of California wine. Add pink to your cheeks with bold blackberry, ripe raspberry flavors, and firm tannins. A blend of Zinfandel, Merlot, and Cabernet Sauvignon. To add complexity and retain character, each variety was fermented separately and then blended together before bottling.


My Review: This was the first blended wine I've had and it was better than expected. I liked that it wasn't too sweet, but also not too dry. As far as my first impression, I got hints of strawberry and blackberry. This wine had a lighter body and a silky finish. This was definitely one of the better red wines I've had. I didn't have food with this wine. Overall, I would rate this red blend an 8/10.

Wine Folly: I couldn't find a red blend in the textbook, so I read about the region this wine is from. California is famous for its bodacious, fruit-forward wine that focuses on Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Chardonnay, and Pinot Noir (page 399). This wine was a blend of Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot (also Zinfandel), and I could taste the fruity flavor. A lot of Californian Cabernet Sauvignon and Zinfandel wines have notes of blackberry, which this wine had (page 402). In terms of wine, California is known for bold Cabernet Sauvignon and sweet Zinfandel.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Tasting - Journey & Discovery Pinot Grigio

This is my mom, babushka, and I  with our wine.   Name:  Journey & Discovery Pinot Grigio Variety:  Pinot Grigio Region: Rubicone Countr...