Sunday, February 18, 2024

Tasting - Sauvignon Blanc

Wine: William Hill Sauvignon Blanc

Variety: Sauvignon Blanc

Region: California

Country: United States

Year: 2022

Price: $11.99

Online Review: This crisp, fruit-forward wine with refreshing tropical notes. Lively aromas of honeysuckle and lemongrass with a crip-clean finish. The palate echoes the nose with zesty fruit characteristics followed by a lovely touch of minerality. This Sauvignon Blanc is completely unoaked, which finishes bright with natural acidity and refreshes the palate.

My Review: I'm a bigger fan of white wines over reds, however, this one was a little too tart for me. I prefer my wines to be sweet, but this was a little sour. Even though I didn't love the sour lemon taste, I still enjoyed drinking this wine. I could smell and taste hints of lemon and also melon. I did appreciate that it wasn't high in tannins. I didn't eat any food with this wine. Overall, I would rate it an 8/10.

Wine Folly: As stated in the Wine Folly textbook, Sauvignon Blanc should be served cold and you don't need to decant it before drinking (page 181). Before drinking, I did not chill it, so I drank it at room temp. but that didn't bother me for this wine. The textbook also points out that Sauvignon Blanc is very high on the acidity level and low in tannins, both of which I recognized during this tasting. It is common for Californian Sauvignon Blancs to have lemongrass, peach, matcha, and buttered bread flavors incorporated in the wine (page 183). The wine I tried did have aromas of lemongrass but not any of the other flavors I just stated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tasting - Journey & Discovery Pinot Grigio

This is my mom, babushka, and I  with our wine.   Name:  Journey & Discovery Pinot Grigio Variety:  Pinot Grigio Region: Rubicone Countr...